POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? : Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep?
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 4 Jun 2010 23:09:11
Message: <4c09bfd7@news.povray.org>
On 4/06/2010 8:14 PM, TC wrote:
> I just did read an add for a "bladeless fan", a so called air-multiplier
> made by Dyson.
>
> When I read the add I clicked on to find out more. Dyson would surely not
> lie to us - so I was really interested in how they build a wonder like this.
>
> Any electric fan, easy to clean, no blades? How is it done? Electromagnetic
> fields? I simply had to see...
>
> Now take a look at this thing and tell me - should I ROTFL or start to weep
> for the poor fools who buy this?
>
> http://www.dyson.com/technology/airmultiplier.asp
>
> Besides: do US laws allow for blatant lies in ads? Bladeless - my ass! And
> easy to clean? I doubt you can clean the real fan-parts at all.

There are a couple of points that make it quite nice.

The air flow is created by a really neat impeller and high power
electric motor.  I believe it was adapted from the Dyson 'airblade' hand
dryer.  If you have not seen and used one of those you are in for a
surprise!  Wow that thing is good.

In regard to dust being accumulated in the impeller, consider that it is
a lot smaller than the blades of a conventional fan but generates a lot
higher speed airflow.  Dust simply doesn't have a chance to build up on
the working part.  How concerned are you about dust building up on the
impeller of a turbo-charger in a car engine?

Then you might appreciate that the air that goes through the impeller is
filtered.  This is used to entrain a larger air mass that doesn't pass
through the impeller.  So whatever the final volume of air that is
moved, less goes through the critical part of the Dyson than passes
through the blades of a conventional fan - by more than an order of
magnitude.

Dyson after all does know a bit about air flow and dust.

I guess that dust and fluff would build up on the leading edge of the
annulus.  This would however be much easier to clean than on a
conventional fan.  Just wipe it.  My current desk fan has a wire cage
around the blade.  That collects dust and you have to remove the front
part and take the blade out to properly clean it.

The other 'air multiplier' benefits are the quiet operation and steady
airflow.

If they weren't so expensive I'd get one.  Still will if I see one on
sale.  I do have a Dyson vacuum cleaner and it is so much better than
any other type I have used.  A great alternative concept to how the
whole thing should be done, brilliant design, brilliantly engineered
with quality materials.  Absolutely the best and not one fault with it
that I can see.