POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. : Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Jun 2010 18:20:07
Message: <4c097c17$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 22:33:03 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> That doesn't surprise me, though the difference between real Italian
>> and "Americanised Italian" is quite striking.
>>
> Something I (will) remain ignorant of ;-)

Well, if you come over here, I can take you to a Japanese place that's
pretty authentic (according to my Japanese sister-in-law <g>).

>> Like the difference between authentic Chinese food and what normally
>> passes as Chinese in both our countries (I've had Chinese in London,
>> actually).
>
> Where in London? The place I generally eat is in Soho’s Wong Kei. There
> are a lot of “High Street” restaurants in Soho too :-(

It was in Soho, back in 2002, let me see if I can find it....

It looks like it would have to have been on Lisle Street, because I
remember it wasn't far from Leister Square station, though we rode in and
met the rest of our group at Westminster and walked from there.

But I also remember that the entrance was on the left-hand side of the
front of the restaurant, and there was a stairway that led upstairs (we
sat on the second floor).  It *might* have been Fung Shing, The interior
shots on their website remind me of what I remember, if that's any
indication.

But I also vaguely recall that the exterior was red and there were a fair
number of awnings over the street, including in front of the entrance.

Unfortunately, for that day of the trip, I only have photos of the
British Museum and Paddington Station - the dinner was an experience we
didn't photograph (the food was good, but the experience was memorable
for all the wrong reasons).

>> I have a friend whose mother visited (back when we were in high school)
>> and she prepared "the real thing" - no Kung Pao Chicken there. ;-)
>>
> Lucky you :-)

Unfortunately, while the flavours were really good, some of the textures
didn't agree with me.  But certainly very different from what most
Americans think of as "Chinese" food.

>> My real preference tends towards Indian (including "Indian" that
>> originated in Scotland as I understand it - the curry dish), but we
>> tend now not to go out for that, we make it at home. :-)
>>
> I’m not sure I follow you on this one. In Scotland as far as I remember
> it’s 10 pints of beer and a vindaloo. The only British Indian dish I can
> think of is Chicken Tikka Masala. Actually after Googling it I see that
> Glasgow claims it as its own. And Birmingham claims the Balti.

The Tikka is part of it, certainly.  :-)  I've read in some Indian
cookbooks that what many westerners think of as "Indian" food is really
British in nature, partially because some of the spice mixes aren't
native to India.

That said, though, one of our favourite restaurants to visit in Salt Lake
City does authentic Indian food - had a friend who grew up in India visit
with us, and he said it reminded him of his grandmother's cooking (in a
good way).  So at least one place here got it right (quite possibly
because the family that owns it is from India and most of the staff are
immigrants from India).  Next time I'm in there, I'll have to ask Avtar
what part of India his family is from.  They're always happy to see us,
but we've not gone as much recently because we do make our own.

Jim