POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another firefighters story : Re: Another firefighters story Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another firefighters story
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Jun 2010 18:12:53
Message: <4c097a65$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/4/2010 10:50 AM, clipka wrote:

>>> Not if the prime axiom of anti-racism holds true, that all races are
>>> equal; because if you take that for granted, any test that exhibits
>>> significantly different test results for different races /must/ be
>>> broken.
>>
>> False.
>
> No Sir, because...
>
>> It's not difficult to prove that different races have different access
>> to education, which quite obviously has a radical effect on the ability
>> to pass tests that measure how educated you are. Nothing inherant about
>> the ability of a race, just environmental factors.
>
> ... if a test measures education instead of ability, according to
> aforementioned prime axiom the test /is/ broken. Q.E.D.

Still broken if it does test "ability". The problem is, a lot of what we
call ability is training the body or brain to do something a certain
way. If you don't ever get the education needed to train them to do X,
testing for X will show a lack of skill, even if you avoid testing for
knowledge. The stuff we can "do" without training is roughly the same as
any other animal, walk, make meaningful noises, and do basic stuff
needed to survive. What differs is the **capacity** to learn to think
logically, which goes against some of those "instinctive" processes,
create complex noises, instead of simple ones, and make complex tools.
All of which, if ones *skill* is being tested, generally require a lot
of pre-knowledge, representing a significant portion of what other
people already came up with, in order to "test" the skill at dealing
with something founded on those much simpler tools, thought processes, etc.

One person I once heard put it like this, "Nearly anyone can learn to
get into MENSA, since the more you work on the sort of puzzles they use
to test you, the easier they become." What you are trying to test for,
on the other hand, it a bit... harder. You want to know how long it
takes them to figure out the tests in the first place, blind, without
any prior input. This is nearly impossible for anyone that has variable
levels of knowledge and existing skill, which *relates* to the
puzzle(s). Its also useless for testing someone that has never been
exposed, in one fashion or another, to even the *basic* concepts needed
to figure out what you are supposed to do in the first place, never mind
how to solve it, once you have that critical detail.

In short, its not testable, since you can't test low level "capacity",
there being no way to reset the person to a state where you can see how
long they "relearn" something. And testing someone's capacity, by aiming
at a more complex, pre-existing knowledge dependent, puzzle or skill
set, also won't work, because they might, by shear chance, completely
lack the context needed to figure out what they supposed to do.

Most people, even with something as simple as, "fit the pugs in the
right shaped holes", will get better the more they do it. Especially
true if, as a child, they already had one as a toy.

I don't think you can get any statistical data about what people are
*capable of* from these. What you can get is statistics that could mean
either that X people never learned this, or X people find it harder, or
**both**, but unless they have a cognitive problem that result in them
failing over multiple trials, you can't say if they are "less capable",
in any meaningful sense. Worse, if there is *any* pre-knowledge needed,
perceive or not, you will still not get accurate results, and you may
not have a means to accurately assess what that pre-knowledge *is*, or
how/why some group might be lacking it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {