POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unit tests : Re: Unit tests Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unit tests
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2010 15:48:13
Message: <4c09587d$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> 	I think you took me too seriously. I meant that it does precisely what
> it claims to. It's not meant for all kinds of tests. Just one kind.

I understand. I consider it a "problem" when a test tests something that
doesn't really tell you things are working.  Especially the way it's hyped
as making your code easy to refactor and blah blah blah.

> 	I suppose limited is more appropriate, but it still sounds too
> negative.<G> It's like saying mutt is limited because it doesn't send
> mails and needs the sendmail command. It just was never meant for
> sending mail.

Given that you have to put a fair amount of work into unit tests, and that
what unit tests ensure isn't especially interesting in most cases, I'd say
yes, "limited" ought to sound negative.

Automated testing is great.  Automated testing of a single class when that
class does something profound all by itself is useful. Most of *my* classes
are designed for interacting with other classes, tho, rather than for
maintaining particular invariants.  Places where the classes are designed to
maintain invariants are places where I'm usually using a library anyway.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly