POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : LightSys looks_like? : Re: LightSys looks_like? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:50:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LightSys looks_like?
From: Alain
Date: 4 Jun 2010 12:02:48
Message: <4c0923a8@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-06-04 05:10, SharkD a écrit :
> On 6/4/2010 4:53 AM, SharkD wrote:
>> Is there a command to make a LightSys light source like a CSG object? I
>> haven't discovered one yet but am assuming one was created.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Mike
>
> Also, what is the proper way to scale the Lumens parameter of a light
> source?
>
> Let's say you are modeling the sun, and in your scene the sun is A units
> away. How do I decrease/increase lumens to match?
>

> Mike

If the light is non-fading, there is no need to scale it's parameters
other than it's distance.

If you use an area_light, you need to adjust it's size relative to it's
distance if you want to keep the same penumbrae. Scale the size by the
same value as the distance.

Whenever you have a fading light_source, you can scale the fading using
fade_distance.
Another option is to change the intensity of the light itself.

With fade_power 2, if you put the light twice farther, you can ether
double the fade_distance and keep the same intensity OR quadruple the
intensity and keep the same fade_distance.

NEVER use multiple coincident lights. It uselessly increase the
rendering time.

Alain