POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? : Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep?
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Jun 2010 06:25:46
Message: <4c08d4aa$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> Now take a look at this thing and tell me - should I ROTFL or start to weep
> for the poor fools who buy this?
>
> http://www.dyson.com/technology/airmultiplier.asp
>
> Besides: do US laws allow for blatant lies in ads? Bladeless - my ass! And
> easy to clean? I doubt you can clean the real fan-parts at all.

What makes you think it's a lie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Multiplier#Dyson_Air_Multiplier

It doesn't have blades; it uses an impeller. And although I can't recall
the name for it now, I've seen a device similar to this that passively
accelerates airflow.

They had a rocket motor blow into a bag, and it did inflate, but quite
slowly. Then they added this compression ring, and when the rocket motor
starts blowing, the ring causes air from the surroundings to be sucked
in as well, causing the bag to fill much more rapidly.