POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another firefighters story : Re: Another firefighters story Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another firefighters story
From: somebody
Date: 4 Jun 2010 04:12:11
Message: <4c08b55b$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> developers and, in addition to programming tests, had the candidates run a
> 100-meter sprint, effectively eliminating the overweight ones.

Therein lies the problem. It may be obvious that overweight individuals are
physically inferior to normal weight ones - I'll leave it to you do decide
if this statement is "weightist" or not, or even if it's true or false. But
in the same vein, the ruling carries the implication that blacks are
inferior according to at least one metric. Is that the message SC intends to
send? This is irrelevant of relevancy of the test - an irrelevant test may
not be discriminatory. Say, in lieu of the test, they decided to toss a
coin. That would not be discriminatory (unless one believes that certain
individuals are inherently luckier than others), because there would be no
predictable (a priori) bias. By saying that the test is discriminatory, it
is being said that there exists ways to separate blacks from whites
*without* looking at their skin colour, or that the basic premise of racial
equality is false.