POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another firefighters story : Re: Another firefighters story Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another firefighters story
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 4 Jun 2010 02:05:25
Message: <4c0897a5$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/03/10 15:30, Gilles Tran wrote:

> discussion : 4c040e82@news.povray.org...
>>  I like how the article carefully avoids specifying exactly how hiring
>> based on test scores is "discriminatory".
>
> The SC ruling is only about the timeliness of the claim, i.e. it does
> not have to address the core issue itself. However, it should be noted
> that it's a 9-0 decision, meaning that even the conservative justices
> (including Scalia, who's usually opposed to affirmative action) sided
> with the plaintiffs.

	Well, as you said, they were not ruling on claims of racism. Just a
technicality about the timelines. Scalia's vote is no more relevant than
the others for this reason.

	I think Scalia just has a bad rep because he tends to speak more to the
media than the others. I don't follow this stuff often, and while I may
not like his views on occasion, I haven't actually seen anything
suggesting there's something wrong with his votes.

--
Guitar for sale. Very cheap. No strings attached.