POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another firefighters story : Re: Another firefighters story Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another firefighters story
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jun 2010 18:37:59
Message: <4c082ec7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.06.2010 16:14, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

>> They allege that if some races test lower than others (on average),
>> then using the test is discriminatory. It's all about "disparate impact."
>
> This logic is so horrifyingly broken...

Not if the prime axiom of anti-racism holds true, that all races are
equal; because if you take that for granted, any test that exhibits
significantly different test results for different races /must/ be broken.

Then again, I never managed to understand how anyone can even claim that
men and women are equal, given the pretty obvious anatomic differences -
and the same goes for "whites", "blacks", "yellows", "reds" and
what-have-you-nots: They obviously /are/ different, if only in outer
appearance (and in fact there are less obvious differences, such as
resistances against certain ailments and drugs).

After all, the question is not whether differences exist, but how much
value we assign to them.

Which again takes us to the tests: If the results of such a test appear
to assign different average values to different races, do we really
/want/ such a test? Or shouldn't we oppose it, possibly even saying,
"hey, this test /may/ be right in that "whites" are generally better
qualified for this job than "blacks", but that would add a "value tag"
to racial differences, thereby fueling a mindset that we don't want in
our society - so let's ditch the test results, risking not having the
/very/ best firefighters we could get, to fight the mindset that racial
differences would make any race superior to any other"?