POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jun 2010 15:25:55
Message: <4c0801c3@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was my first modern "sandbox-style" game
> > I played, and it was a magnificent experience.

> Actually, I'd say that Thief and Myst/Riven were both sandbox-style games.

  Not in the sense that "a sandbox game" is usually used. What is usually
meant with it is that the whole outworld (which usually should be very big)
is completely open to be explored, so you can go anywhere you want and do
whatever you want. There are no levels which are played one after another,
like in more traditional games.

  Thief consists of levels, and the gameplay is pretty linear from level
to level. In Myst/Riven you are not completely free to go wherever you like,
but you are limited to predefined narrow paths (mainly due to technical
limitations).

--
                                                          - Warp