POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
7 Jul 2024 11:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: Warp
Date: 3 Jun 2010 15:10:21
Message: <4c07fe1d@news.povray.org>
> On 03.06.10 00:39, Edouard wrote:
> > I'd suggest upgrading to the latest boost (1.43.0), and using the it's tr1
> > implementation (and namespace)

> That actually *is* a good idea indeed.

  I don't really understand why it would be a good idea. Are you going to
either use a 'tr1::' namespace prefix (which will not compile with many
older compilers, and might not work with future compilers) or a "using
namespace tr1;" which would add yet a *third* instance of 'shared_ptr'
to mess up things even more?

  I thought that one of the main principles with POV-Ray is that it should
be very portable and that one can compile it with all kinds of compilers
in all kinds of systems. The 'tr1' namespace is implemented in only a
handful of compilers.

  If you use 'boost::shared_ptr' (even if typedeffed), that's going to
compile with all compilers, if the boost library is available, and it's
not going to break even with newer compilers and C++ standards.

--
                                                          - Warp