POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jun 2010 14:59:08
Message: <4c07fb7c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was my first modern "sandbox-style" game
> I played, and it was a magnificent experience.

Actually, I'd say that Thief and Myst/Riven were both sandbox-style games.
Thief had good puzzles and combat and such, Myst and Riven had good graphics
(altho obviously limited to stills). Both were quite excellent and far from
boring.

 > This isn't a problem if the game gives you clear quests which you can
complete.

I think both Thief and Myst provided these without being pushy about it.

 > It's because they give you everything

I think that's a lovely, deep insight. I can totally see that.

Myst was rather sandboxy, but the whole point of the game was to unlock
additional parts of the sandbox, finding keys to get into the next place.
(Of course, it eventually got rather silly, as every combination lock had to
have the combination written down somewhere fairly obvious, etc.) Thief
would occasionally give you additional goals, or would make you
find/fight/sneak past things to get to the next part, etc.

Hmmmm... A very interesting thought indeed.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly