POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
7 Jul 2024 11:45:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Jun 2010 23:11:11
Message: <4c071d4f@news.povray.org>
On 3/06/2010 09:40, Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> The only question now is whether you care enough about compatibility
> VC++ 2010 to make the changes necessary to ensure such compatibility.

No, that is not the question. It's not the question because I already
answered it in the message you are replying to (and in fact you even quoted
my response). I clearly stated I would fix it; yet you chose to be
insulting in response ('whether we care enough' is clearly not intended to
be polite).

Hint: obliquely insulting developers who give their time for free isn't a
good way to get things done.

> If the official stance of the POV-team is that compilers with C++0x
> features enabled are not (yet) supported, then that is fine. At least it

Our official stance is that we support what our source code pages say we
support. You can read into that what you wish.

> would be consistent. It might not be what I personally would have
> chosen, but it is not for me to make that call.

VS 2010 was only officially released a month or two ago; not everyone has
the luxury of having the latest release toolsets. If you wish to purchase a
copy of Visual Studio 10 Pro for us to use then I'd be happy to add
"official support" for it and thus C++0x.

If you are not willing to do so then it seems rather arrogant for you to be
taking the attitude you have in your previous posts. Put simply, if you're
not willing to provide us the tools to achieve the result you wish, then I
suggest you don't talk down to us in the manner you have.

NB for the record, I'm not interested in installing the free express
edition of VS 2010 and thus running with two versions of VS installed. I'm
happy enough using VS 2008 pro; POV-Ray isn't the only project I code on
(it may surprise you to know I have a day job which pays the bills around
here - POV-Ray certainly doesn't) and I need the full version's features.

I have no reason to upgrade at the moment as none of my paying clients
requires me to have VS 2010.

-- Chris