POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
5 Oct 2024 17:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Jun 2010 18:22:23
Message: <4c06d99f$1@news.povray.org>
I'll have a look to see if I can tighten the namespace usage up a bit. As a
rule I tend to try to avoid "using std" if I can, but there's some places
where we use a namespace so much that typing in the prefix each time makes
the code less readable by cluttering it. At the least I might be able to
only import specific portions. The other option is to typedef stuff we use
a lot (std::string would be a prime candidate for this).

As for not compiling in VS 2010 - while I will fix it via the define
mentioned in this thread, I will point out that breaking boost is poor
practice by microsoft, as it's a very popular library. I haven't looked at
the VS2010 header files but if it's true that they are importing the
namespace that their implementation of shared_ptr is in by default (without
a specific directive from the project file), then that's hardly our fault.
They can't go and claim they didn't know there would be other folks using
shared_ptr ... at a minimum, their project conversion wizard should have
asked about this when bringing in pre-VS2010 projects.

-- Chris