POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
7 Jul 2024 12:48:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: Warp
Date: 1 Jun 2010 15:48:02
Message: <4c0563f1@news.povray.org>
> Keep cool. If that's really something you're genuinely worried about,
> then you should stop talking and start helping.

  Removing the 'using namespace' statements and adding the namespace
prefixes is mechanical work that could be done relatively easily
(especially if the compiler tells you where you have to put them), even
if it would take some time with a program of the size of POV-Ray.

  The problem is that some people involved in the project oppose this
idea. Hence such work might not be accepted.

> If you're just curious
> about it, you might get some answers if you changed to a more neutral
> mode. But if you're just into accusing others of doing the things wrong
> that they do, please stop your ranting and - pardon my french - shut
> your cake-hole.

  I have explained with rational arguments why removing the 'using namespace'
commands and using the namespace prefixes would be a good idea for all
kinds of reasons. I have seen no rational arguments against this suggestion,
only baseless claims (along the lines of "it would reduce maintainability",
with zero reasons or arguments why this would be so).

  Instead, Thorsten has suggested using really ugly kludges to get around
the problem, such as making POV-Ray not compile at all if the C++ version
is too new, or to use compiler-specific precompiler macros to turn off
the conflicting features. This, ironically, from the same person who argues
pro maintainability.

  Since nobody has presented any rational arguments why the 'using namespace'
statements should be kept, I see no logical reasons to keep them. But of
course stubborness and resistance to change (and perhaps pride) are stopping
this from being done, and instead some ugly compiler-specific kludges are
suggested instead.

  And your answer to this is "shut your cake-hole". Right.

> If people don't do things the way /you/ want them to be done, then it's
> /you/ who's making a mistake - by just standing at the side and giving
> smart advice instead of getting your hands dirty yourself.

  Please suggest how I could "get my hands dirty" in this case. Thorsten
is actively opposing the proper solution, so it's not like I could just go
and do it. At least not until he changes his mind.

--
                                                          - Warp