POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray? : Re: Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 1 Jun 2010 14:07:24
Message: <4c054c5c$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> I always thought a built-in physics-engine would have been nice

MegaPOV has a patch for mechanical simulations, in case this
is of interest to you.

> To know the amount of light at a certain point in space would allow
> to simulate heliotropic behaviour of plants. Ivy not just creeping up
> a wall but climbing towards the light.

Getting the light intensity at a point would not seem the
best choice for that even if possible. At least I don't think
heliotropic plants look for bright surfaces, they probably
target the light sources directly and you know where
those are in the scene anyway.

Actually I think the term heliotropic is reservered for plants
which actually turn towards the light actively, as opposed
to just growing towards the light.