POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray? : Re: Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can intensity of light be returned in Pov-Ray?
From: TC
Date: 31 May 2010 21:27:48
Message: <4c046214@news.povray.org>
>  Patch the source code?

I did not really want to spend the next few years studying the pov-ray
source... but probably the only solution.

Changing some of the source-code might be interesting, though. I always
thought a built-in physics-engine would have been nice, but I fear
implementing it would probably be the work of a lifetime and very probably
beyond my skills.

To know the amount of light at a certain point in space would allow to
simulate heliotropic behaviour of plants. Ivy not just creeping up a wall
but climbing towards the light. Yes, it can be achieved by using trace and
common sense and lots of trials, too, but to have a mechanism for it would
have been nice.