POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe? : Re: Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:50:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mapping bump_map texture onto lathe?
From: clipka
Date: 31 May 2010 07:55:58
Message: <4c03a3ce$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.05.2010 09:51, schrieb CreeDo:

> I know the texture starts out as a 1 unit square and I've scaled and translated
> it appropriately. But because the cue tapers a bit, part of the texture looks
> awful.

Actually the primary problem is not the tapering per se, but the fact
that it is round.

You'll most probably want to try "map_type 2" (cylindrical mapping),
which will "wrap" the texture around your object.

By default, the mapping is fine for texturing any cylindrical object of
1 unit length, oriented along the y axis, and any diameter, wrapping the
texture once around the object.

If your object's orientation does not match, you will have to rotate the
resulting pigment or texture; if your length does not match, you will
have to scale it; the diameter will match automatically.

If you want to have the texture repeat multiple times around the object
(I guess you'll want to repeat it 2 or 3 times), AFAIK you'll either
have to modify the texture accordingly, or go for the alternative of
using the default map_type, scale by <1,1/3,1> to fit, and use "wrap {
cylindrical }" to wrap it around the cylinder.