POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 31 May 2010 01:03:11
Message: <4c03430f@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 30 May 2010 15:16:32 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Doesn't make sense, no, but there it is...
>
> It makes sense if your company isn't already profitable. A dollar today
> at the expense of two dollars next month is a good deal if you only have
> a week's worth of money left before you go broke.

True, but I've also seen it several times in profitable businesses as
well, usually where middle management positions are short-lived, so
saving money is a way to move ahead.  Profits tend to be longer term, so
the way for middle managers to look good is to cut expenses regardless of
the consequences to long-term profits; the logic often is that they won't
be there to see the long-term results, so it doesn't matter, but the
short term savings does (to their personal careers).

Jim