POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
4 Jul 2024 18:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: clipka
Date: 30 May 2010 17:51:42
Message: <4c02ddee$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.05.2010 23:21, schrieb Fredrik Eriksson:
>> Fact is, as of today, the POV-Ray code /can/ be changed to be
>> perfectly compatible with all of (a) the current C++ standard, (b)
>> Microsoft's VC++ 2010 implementation and (c) whatever the future C++
>> standard may be - so I'd say this trouble report would be a good
>> occasion to just go ahead and make it so.
>
> One problem with just going ahead and making it so is that such a change
> may encounter resistance, as evidenced by this very thread.

Often such resistance initially arises from people feeling personally
attacked - e.g. a trouble reporter failing to keep neutral, or a
developer misunderstanding the trouble report, making the developer
interpret the reporter's posting as saying "you did a bad job there";
often, a typically reaction will then be born out of a "you can't blame
me, it was their fault" -attitude, trying to find a culprit rather than
a solution. (*)

In such cases, it is essential to get back to the technical level - and
not get irritated by the resistance initially encountered.

Plus, it is also vitally important that the person proposing a solution
is willing to pay some price for it. For instance, invest a fair deal of
patience. Or actively helping to implement it.

(* BTW, that's a mode I can get into as well at times; no intention to
put any blame on anybody here.)