POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
2 Jul 2024 15:10:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: clipka
Date: 30 May 2010 15:41:37
Message: <4c02bf71$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.05.2010 16:44, schrieb Warp:

>    That's quite a lot of information that a simple 'std::' is conveying. More
> importantly, the 'std::' prefix is making the line a lot more unambiguous
> because you know you don't have to look where the definition of 'equal()'
> might be, as you know it's a standard function. Hence the code is much
> easier to understand more quickly and with less work.

I dare to disagree: I think it may make code more readable in some way,
but at the same time make it less readable in some other way.

Readable != Readable. It depends whether you want to analyze in-depth
how code /exactly/ does things, or whether you want to get a general
overview of what the code does. Making consequent use of namespace
prefixes helps for the former, but I guess it won't do too much good (if
at all) for the latter, as for that purpose it just adds more
information to digest when browsing the code; to a casual browser, it
isn't important whether the smart_ptr is a std::smart_ptr or a
boost::smart_ptr.

Warp, I think you're oversimplifying, as you often do (though you're not
alone in that).