POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a simple 3ds max box not centered and resized correctly in povray : Re: a simple 3ds max box not centered and resized correctly in povray Server Time
19 May 2024 06:04:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a simple 3ds max box not centered and resized correctly in povray
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 30 May 2010 15:22:28
Message: <4c02baf4$1@news.povray.org>
optima wrote:
> Christian,
>
> thank you for answering, I scale my models same way in povray and 3ds m
ax but it
> gives different results for different models, box was just an example.
>
> My whole point is I size models to exactly same parameters in 3ds max a
nd I use
> exactly same povray code but their size differs by 2.54 times when rend
ered in
> povray. Beware though these are models downloaded from internet so they
 have
> been built to different dimension specifications in 3ds max. BUT I reop
en them
> in max and resize them to what I described in my original post and some
 of them
> are oversized by 2.54 times. How do I know this? When I divide model's
> dimensions by 2.54 as in scale <50/2.54,75/2.54,60/2.54>  in pov code,
> everything fits nicely together.
>
> The box is just a weird example of what I'm trying to say, how come a b
ox I size
> to 100 cm in max and scale to  scale <0.025,0.025,0.025> then scale to
>  scale <50,75,60> doesn't come out to be 50 cm wide, 75 cm high and 60c
m deep
> when pov renders it?
>
> I used this same technique for sizing objects in max and povray for alm
ost 2
> years now. But for some reason it fails me presently.
>
> meanwhile I made some platform changes though,
> - went from 3ds max 2008 32 bit to 3dsmax 2009 64bit
> - went from windows xp to windows 7 64bit
> - a newer version of poseray
>
> I dont know what these have to do with it? but I list them anyway.
> Thank you very much, I am almost sure 3ds max is causing all this troub
le,
> something in Unit Scale System of max I currently use is different but
WHAT? I
> appreciate your help.

	Is there some setting in max or poseray which allows you to choose
between centimeters and inches? The reason I'm asking is that 2.54
is precisely the ratio between inches and centimeters, so if you are
scaling to 100 in max, are you sure those are always 100cm and not
100 inches?

		Jerome
--
mailto:jeb### [at] freefr