POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 30 May 2010 14:46:02
Message: <4c02b26a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
>> Still, each platform has vastly
>> different SDK and libraries available; graphic calls alone would
>> probably require the whole engine to be rewritten.
>
>   But take into account that in a RPG the program code is probably something
> like 10-20% of the entire amount of work put into the game. There's an
> enormous amount of content that could be used as-is in all versions of
> the game.

Figure the increased cost of the SDK on the main formerly exclusive
console. Add in the cost of the SDK for the new console. Add in cost of
new programmers, and training them on developing for the new console;
the programers used to the old console are going to be busy since you
are going to want to release both at the same time, right? Decrease your
profit per game sold, as I would guess exclusives do get a bigger chunk
of that money. And some times the developers are just one small house
under the parent company, so the cost for putting one game on multiple
platforms may not gain them anything on other games being released at
the same time. S/E has, according to wiki, 10 development divisions with
each headed by a different person.

Sure, it may be just 10-20% of the work put into the game, but it is a
huge amount of money. It apparently was enough that it kept S/E from
releasing anything prior to FFXIII on more than one console.