POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics activity : Switches Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Switches
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 May 2010 07:33:04
Message: <4c024cf0@news.povray.org>
Well let me see now... I bought a couple of switches and resistors, and
spent the morning soldering them together. I now have two switches - a
rocker switch and a push switch. In one position, you get logic 0, in
the other position, you get logic 1, and no floating inputs. Yay, me!

It's kind of frustrating how many problems I'm having with this whole
exercise - and most of them aren't electrical. They're mundane physical
issues. (E.g., one of the switches I bought has metal terminals with
small holes to poke the wires through. Except they're too tiny to poke
any wire through!)

Still, it was gratifying to flick some switches and watch an LED light,
correctly implementing the truth table of a NAND gate.

I was about to try rigging up a simple binary half adder - and then I
realised that this requires 7 NAND gates, and I obviously only have 4. >_<

I've bought a small plastic box, and I'm hoping to somehow mount some
switches on it, common-up the power rails, and end up with a box which I
can just connect to the power and have a nice set of output wires. But
this requires drilling and soldering and all sorts.

It's times like this where I miss my old electronics kit. :-( Everything
seemed so much easier back then...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/