POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HDTV resolution : Re: HDTV resolution Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDTV resolution
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 29 May 2010 13:37:10
Message: <4c0150c6$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/27/10 16:36, nemesis wrote:
> BTW, only now I noticed the TV comes with a small set of sample pictures of
> landscapes.  Look bright and amazing and here's the catch:  their resolution is
> 1920x1080.  They fit the whole screen in normal mode.  They also display the
> same in "wide" or "face zoom".  I wonder why would they fill a TV with images
> this size if they wouldn't fit except downscaled.

	This stuff can be confusing. My TV has Full, Wide, another one similar
to Wide, 4:3, Zoom, and perhaps one more. I usually set it at Full.

	It's a pain to get the "proper" resolution (at least for video -
haven't tried photos). Mine is 1080p. But something broadcast at 720p
(wide screen) will still show up and fill the screen because the aspect
ratio is the same. Something with a different aspect ratio will not -
even if it's bigger than my TV's resolution - because it's trying to
maintain the aspect ratio.

	But then again, when I get stuff broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio, the
Full mode sometimes shows it at the proper aspect ratio (so black bars
on the side). But sometimes it is stretched.

	I'd say go and figure out *precisely* what those modes mean.

	I have a PS3, and over there you can set it to show it at the *exact*
resolution. So if it's 320x200, it will show up quite small on the screen.

--
Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.