POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy : Re: The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy
From: Darren New
Date: 27 May 2010 12:05:22
Message: <4bfe9842$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Most christian churches like only 9 of the commandments. The second one
> (about not doing images of God or anything else) they don't like too much,

I think here's an excellent distinction between catholic and the rest of
christianity.  You can immediately tell a catholic church from a protestant
church, as the catholic will have jesus on the cross and a protestant church
won't.  There are very few images of jesus in a typical protestant church,
no saints being worshiped instead of god, no "mother mary" stuff, etc.

 From my early years as a church-goer, the only images of jesus I remember
is inside the cover of the bible, a head-shot with a halo. Not even the
crown-of-thorns look-what-youve-done-now kind of picture.

> Of course there's nothing in the Bible itself to justify this.

The most amusing argument I hear is "No, that means don't make idols of any
*other* gods."

Or "we're not worshiping the idols, we're worshiping what the idols
portray."   Like they thought the pharoh was worshiping the statue of anubis
or something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid