POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy : Re: The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy
From: Warp
Date: 27 May 2010 09:51:31
Message: <4bfe78e2@news.povray.org>
TC <do-not-reply@i-do get-enough-spam-already-2498.com> wrote:
> My second thought was: isn't there a commandment
> telling us "thou shalt not make an image of god"? How can it be that in one
> of the most holy places of Christendom there is an image in violation of the
> commandments themselves, a sacrilegious blasphemy beneath which the Vicar of
> Christ is elected?

  Most christian churches like only 9 of the commandments. The second one
(about not doing images of God or anything else) they don't like too much,
so they have tried to get rid of it for almost two millenia. (Of course since
"the 9 commandments" doesn't sound so cool, they split the last one into two
to get a total of 10 once again.) Of course they have come up with all kinds
of explanations why that one commandment isn't *really* a commandment (even
though it's right there among all the others), or how it's not valid any
longer (yet they somehow fail to justify taking another commandment and
splitting it into two). Of course there's nothing in the Bible itself to
justify this.

  I suppose the allurement of making images is just too strong.

  Not all denominations are like that, of course. Some do acknowledge that
one commandment and try to obey it (depending on what they interpret it to
really mean).

--
                                                          - Warp