POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy : The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  The Sistine Chapel - Fine Art & Hypocrisy
From: TC
Date: 27 May 2010 08:15:28
Message: <4bfe6260$1@news.povray.org>
Yesterday I stumbled upon some pictures of the Sistine Chapel. And once
again I was reminded of the hypocrisy of man.

Do not get me wrong - the images are nice and exceptional pieces of art.
Which means I like them, especially in their restored state. Nonetheless,
how can it be that the Pope, the steward of Christ, is elected beneath a
blasphemous image?

When, as a child, I first looked upon the "Creation of Adam", my first
though was: nice picture. My second thought was: isn't there a commandment
telling us "thou shalt not make an image of god"? How can it be that in one
of the most holy places of Christendom there is an image in violation of the
commandments themselves, a sacrilegious blasphemy beneath which the Vicar of
Christ is elected?

I am no believer. "Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus" would condemn too many
people for too puny a sin to be just (most Chinese, Indian, Japanese,
African, all Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Protestants, Mormons, Shakers, and
many, many more). So, as an unbeliever, the image does not offend me. But to
any Christian (and any Jew and Muslim) it should be most offensive. Yet it
was commissioned by a Pope. Hypocrisy.

The pictures are a reminder of the hypocrisy and foolishness of man in yet
another way. When I was young, the pictures were still in their
non-restored, dark state. The frescos were plain dirty from the fumes of the
candles - a state not recognised by most professional appreciators of art.

So Michelangelo was praised in textbooks for the use of muted colours
befitting such a holy place. Nothing bright and colourful. Woe to the
student who would say otherwise when writing a test in "Arts" concerning
this subject.

Now, after restoration, the colours are bright and beautiful. Lo and behold:
now Michelangelo is praised for the use of those bright colours, befitting
such a holy place.

Sorry folks: either the one or the other - all else is just hypocrisy and
shows the foolishness of man - especially the foolishness of professional
appreciators of art.