POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fatality : Re: Fatality Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fatality
From: Warp
Date: 27 May 2010 06:44:49
Message: <4bfe4d21@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I have seen PSUs die, and computers do very, very strange things as a
> result. But it's fairly rare. Rarer than, say, HD failures or fan failures.

  So far I have had 4 PSUs break down in my computer, plus one in an iMac
at work. Three of these cases presented with random symptoms which at first
didn't raise suspicion that the PSU was the culprit (in the other two cases
the PSU simply outright stopped working, one of them with a loud snap).

  So far the only other hardware failure I have ever had is a bunch of bad
sectors in one HD.

> I ran a RAM check, and it consistently tells me that one specific area
> of RAM isn't working. Every time I run the test, it complains about the
> same chunk, fairly high up in the computer's address space.

  I tell you: Check your PSU first, *then* consider other possibilities.
It doesn't matter how random or how consistent the errors might be.

  It might well not be the PSU, but it doesn't hurt checking it, and if it
so happens that it is indeed the PSU, it will save you a lot of work and
wasted money when you don't have to test anything else.

--
                                                          - Warp