POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Anamolous material : Re: Anamolous material Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anamolous material
From: Invisible
Date: 26 May 2010 10:05:27
Message: <4bfd2aa7$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> 500 ml soft drink bottles can take a huge pressure before exploding!

I guess this is where I recount the tale my sister told me...

They're in a physics lab, doing some experiment to measure the latent
heat of nitrogen or something like that. Anyway, the experiment involves
liquid nitrogen.

One stupid decides that this nitrogen stuff is "really cool", so let's
take some home to play with. So he pours some of the liquid out of the
reinforced steel container into a small coke bottle, puts the lid on, and...

...well, the way my sister described it, there was a small bang followed
by a blood-curdling scream. All the staff rushed to the source, and
shortly afterwards a student was seen leaving the lab with shards of
plastic sticking out of the back of his hands.

I'm not sure what's more worrying - the fact that this was a PHYSICS
UNDERGRADUATE, or the fact that he attempted to deny putting the lid on
the bottle. (The lab officer gave him a kind of look like "so, what, it
just decided to explode BY MAGIC?")