POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fatality : Re: Fatality Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fatality
From: Invisible
Date: 26 May 2010 06:33:31
Message: <4bfcf8fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Also, it's DDR-400 RAM, which Ebuyer no longer sells in quantities
>> greater than 1GB for some reason.
>
> As you're probably not running many memory-hungry applications in
> parallel, and I guesstimate we're talking about a 32-bit system, you
> won't be able to utilize much more than 4 GB anyway. So presuming that
> using all 4 slots typically gives some speed advantage, 1 GB is the
> maximum module size you'll want to buy.

Actually it's a 64-bit system. And there's a difference between using
one module and using two; the former gives you single-channel memory,
the latter gives you dual-channel memory, which has twice the bandwidth
(but identical latency). Using four modules yields no advantage, other
than being able to add more memory without throwing away what you
already have. (Which is what I did, incidentally.)

However, for reasons unknown, this specific motherboard only supports
4GB anyway. I guess because it was one of the first 64-bit boards...

> As for the price - what do you expect from a product that is no longer
> manufactured in too high quantities anymore, with the primary target
> group being people desperately trying to keep their old legacy computers
> running?

Yeah, figures. You wanna look at the prices for PC-100! ;-)