POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you ever made a powerpoint : Re: If you ever made a powerpoint Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you ever made a powerpoint
From: scott
Date: 26 May 2010 02:25:13
Message: <4bfcbec9$1@news.povray.org>
> watch at least the first minute of this.
>
> http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/2010/04/08/rsa-animate-drive/
>
> It's an interesting talk anyway, and over in 10 minutes, so it's worth
> watching.

OK so I need to use the PP scribble tool with line width 10 from now on :-)

Yes the talk was quite interesting, although I would like to actually read
the studies he mentions before drawing any conclusions myself.  For example,
is this applicable to all types of employee, do people who are used to
manual repetitive work respond the same to those used to doing scientific
research or being the director of a large company?

At our place (which is mostly scientific research) there is a very small
bonus (something like 1 days pay) if you get a patent granted.  I assume
nobody actually considers the bonus when working.  I cannot believe that if
they offered a 6 months salary bonus for patents then people wouldn't work
harder, but maybe that's because they are not paying what people consider
"enough" to start with?

It seems like "enough" should be enough to afford a comfortable life within
commuting distance of your job (if you have to commute).  I know with the
current house prices a lot of people certainly aren't earning enough.