POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rad_def.inc : Re: rad_def.inc Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rad_def.inc
From: clipka
Date: 25 May 2010 14:36:24
Message: <4bfc18a8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.05.2010 18:15, schrieb Jim Holsenback:

> ah yes ... I did notice that, but was hoping for some technical upgrades
> while I had the file checked out.

I took care to not change radiosity parameterization too much, so
generally the setting should still be as good as they used to be.

> Currently working on a scene that's been rendering since last evening.
> Granted it has media (shafts of light through a window) but that seems
> kind of lengthy render time to me. I'm doing radiosity gather (two pass)
> with a tad of AA and media samples less than what I'd settle for in the
> final version. I'm using the IndoorHG setting and was wondering if the
> "canned" settings are optimal. Any thoughts on if these are the settings
> to use or can I do better with less overhead (render time)

As stated in the file, the settings are not intended to be optimum
settings - they can't be anyway, as every scene is different.

Do you have the radiosity media setting on? It may make a hell of a
difference in render time, while probably not contributing /too/ much to
radiosity quality.

BTW, my lanterns on the water did behave exceptionally badly until I set
some objects to "no_radiosity" which would contribute virtually nothing
anyway, and just cost extra intersection testing time; the most
offending ones were a pair of (pseudo-) sky spheres.