POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Benchmark.pov update before release : Re: Benchmark.pov update before release Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark.pov update before release
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 25 May 2010 09:29:26
Message: <4bfbd0b6@news.povray.org>
Le 25/05/2010 09:02, Stephen a écrit :
> On 24/05/2010 5:38 PM, Warp wrote:
>> Le_Forgeron<jgr### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>>> Le 24/05/2010 15:17, Warp nous fit lire :

>>> There might be a bottleneck on display thread/display data ?
>>
>>    Displaying an image takes 22 minutes? I don't think so. There must
>> be an
>> error somewhere.
>>

> I thought so too, so I ran a more controlled test. With PovRay’s
> priority set to High and all other applications shut down. The timings I
> got were:
> With display: 17m 31s
> Without display: 17m 31s
> Without display and Task Manager running: 17m 40s

Now that's even stranger if the last is "without Task Manager running"!
If it is "With Task Manager running", looks normal: more charge, more time!

Good news seems to be that display does not change the time with High
Priority.
Now, the question would be: does it (with display or without display)
change the time when the priority is Low (as the default) ?
Might suggest to have a different default priority on Windows... at
least when more than one core is detected. (for 1 core only, it is
better to have Low Priority for the povray-thread, otherwise povray
would be killing the GUI)
On 2+ core, a normal priority might just be fine (unless constant render
time really need a High priority, in which case... well... the OS
scheduler sucks if we still get a 2:1 ratio!)

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.<br/>
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?<br/>