POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D modeler - scultris : Re: 3D modeler - scultris Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D modeler - scultris
From: nemesis
Date: 24 May 2010 12:53:53
Message: <4bfaaf21@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNRg6pdNeE

most impressive to me is the "drawing" tool, which seems to really
"draw" new polygons, rather than simply expand the existing ones until
some areas are very dense and empty and others lacking detail.  Like in
Blender sculpting.

Sculpting is great for generating finely detailed models, but for
animation it also needs finely crafted topology with proper edge loops
in the proper places in the final mesh.  Most sculpting tools generate
messy topology with dense meshes, including commercial ones like ZBrush.
  Which is why they all provide retopology tools, to assist one in
generating a new clean mesh on top of the current convoluted one.  It's
still very time-consuming, though. I guess the holy grail for such
sculpting tools is to provide a clean mesh or automatic retopology.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9