POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics activity : Re: Electronics activity Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics activity
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 May 2010 09:24:38
Message: <4bfa7e16$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/23/2010 9:24 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> Why not?
>
> Because when it doesn't work, I will probably end up killing myself, for
> starters... A power supply is far too complicated for me to get right.

A power supply is a rather simple device: A transformer that steps down
the 240VAC to (for example) 12VAC, a bridge rectifier to convert the AC
source into DC then a couple regulators to get (perhaps) 5 and 12 volts.

Personally, though I'm a bit skittish about using wall power, I use an
AC adapter w/12 volts (though the one powering my headphone amp is 24v
regulated, so the op-amp gets +/- 12v much more than is ever needed for
boosting heaphones, but gives the op amp plenty of headroom to source
current for the low impedance phones I have)

... One of these days I'll upgrade it to an op-amp w/ a mosfet output
stage so I can get as much current as I can, even though this is plenty
loud ;)

--
~Mike