POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics activity : Re: Electronics activity Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics activity
From: Stephen
Date: 23 May 2010 10:50:01
Message: <4bf94099@news.povray.org>
On 23/05/2010 3:29 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> With the thickness of wire I'm using, 6 mm would be several times the
> total diammeter of the wire. ;-)

So, you can always trim it.
You might be better using solid core wire if it is that thin.

These sort of things are learned by experience and listening to the old
men round the camp fire
.
.
>> To tin stranded wire twist the strands so that none are sticking out.
>
> Oddly, this is significantly harder than you'd think...

I know, strip and tin one end first then strip the other end. That stops
the strands getting mangled.

> The 30-year-old solder I found seems to be quite "bubbly", which makes
> it difficult to do this. It also doesn't seem to want to melt very
> evenly, resulting on lots of blobs, or only one side of the wire tinned.

Tin the end first then when the strands can't separate do the length.
Use a dry iron to stroke the blobs off.

BTW modern solder has better flux.

> Now I remember why I wanted to buy wire ready-cut. ;-)

LOL

> Still, I have just spent about an hour sitting on my driveway with a
> workmate, several bunches of wire and a soldering iron. People probably
> think I'm weird now... Everybody's out mowing the lawn, riding bicycles,
> having a BBQ or sunbathing, and some sad tosser over at number 11 is
> sitting with a bunch of wires and tools.

Good job they can't see you with PovRay ;-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen