POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
7 Jul 2024 05:53:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 May 2010 03:15:11
Message: <4bf8d5ff@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <aze### [at] qwertyorg> schreef in bericht

> POV-Ray's priority on a windows system is set to "lower than normal". It's
> the task of the OS to attribute CPU cycles. On a quad core, using POV-Ray
> should not affect any application that have the focus and that start with
> "Normal" priority increased by the fact that it have the focus. If it
> causes a problem, you should complain to Microsoft so that they correct
> the problem.
>
> There is also the possibility that your systen is set to prioritize
> background tasks.

I confess I start to get confused now with the many - sometimes
contradictory - posts in this thread.

My experience, with POV-Ray 3.7 on a dual core XP machine, with priority set
to "lower than normal", is that both cores take up the full 100% cpu during
render, slowing down all other applications having the focus during that
time. Again, I repeat myself, I seem to remember that Priority was disabled
during beta development, but I have had no confirmation of that until now.

Thomas