POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! : Re: SCIENCE! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SCIENCE!
From: Warp
Date: 22 May 2010 16:03:14
Message: <4bf83882@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>  From the comments:  "...What concerns me about some of the work of
> scientists is that they lack respect for nature....I've seen too many
> sci-fi's to know that something can go wrong....They don???t know what
> they're doing."

  Many people seem to give "nature" some kind of magical properties, like
it was a sentient entity or something, which is benevolent and protective
of humans when they respect it, and vengeful and violent when humans don't
respect it, try to control it (or even just understand it) and make it feel
violated.

  Everything that is "natural" and "organic" is seen as good, beneficial
and healthy, while everything that is perceived as "artificial", "man-made"
or trying to modify how nature and natural processes work is seen as
harmful, unhealthy and even dangerous. It's like nature somehow protected
humans and the human body when things are done its way, and is harmful when
people try to modify, circumvent, or control how nature works.

  Nature is so sacred that even trying to understand its secrets is such
a sacrilege that bad things may happen.

--
                                                          - Warp