POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Scaled preview window looks horrible : Re: Scaled preview window looks horrible Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scaled preview window looks horrible
From: clipka
Date: 21 May 2010 15:43:52
Message: <4bf6e278$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.05.2010 09:45, schrieb scott:
>> BTW, I just had a look at the Windows front-end code, to find that it
>> would be quite easy to change it to use a prettier scaling method -
>> all it would take would be to change a scaling-mode constant, and
>> slightly adjust some code called whenever an SMP square has been
>> rendered.
>
> That's what I thought.

Hey-oh! You gotta love Microsoft...

Now there is this STRETCH_HALFTONE mode they have for displaying scaled
bitmaps.

Seems like it does what you'd expect it to, when scaling bitmaps /down/
to fit large images into small windows.

Seems like it is /also/ capable of smoothing bitmaps when scaling them
/up/ to fit small images into large windows.

Well, yes, /capable/ it apparently is - but does it /do/ it?

Looks like Microsoft hid some mean little algorithm in there that gets
to decide which image will be smoothed and which will just be scaled
(seemingly depending on how many different colors you have in there)...

Oh bugger!