POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research : Re: Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics research
From: Invisible
Date: 21 May 2010 10:57:35
Message: <4bf69f5f@news.povray.org>
>> That and the subcircuit label...
>
> Actually, if you click on the subcircuit, you'll see some items in the
> attributes window. One item is label. But, if you have multiple
> instances of the same circuit and change the label for one, it changes
> for all.
>
> Again, somewhat annoying.

Yes, the "label" is so that if you have a dozen subcircuits, you can
tell which type each one is. It's _not_ for labelling a specific
instance. (E.g., if you insert a register, you can't label it with a
register name. You can only label it with the kind of register it is.)

>> It's trying to be helpful by detecting circuits which are unstable.
>
> I think it's more or less bailing out on a potential infinite loop.

Hey, if it just wasn't handled, the program would crash. The fact that
it's *noticing* the problem means that it's doing extra processing
specifically to deal with it. But yes, it is a tad annoying. (Presumably
the problem goes away if you use the built-in latch primitive...)

>> Yeah. The whole wiring concept is just awkward. For example, Reactor
>> (which has nothing to do with electronics but does involve wiring things
>> together) has wires that go in a straight line from pin to pin. And when
>> you move stuff, IT DOESN'T BREAK ALL THE WIRES OR RANDOMLY CONNECT THEM
>> TO OTHER PINS! Sheesh, it's not rocket science...
>
> Actually, it can be a little tough to reroute wires when restricted to

All I know is that I seem to spend more time trying to figure out how to
move a component slightly to the side to make more space than actually,
you know, designing my stuff! >_<

>> I'd prefer something less ugly to look at, personally.
>
> Well, sure, but function before form. I mean,
>
> this one was pretty, but was a pain to work with:
> http://www.logiccircuit.org/

What's up with it?

>> KLogic was easier to wire up. And it could do simulation graphs, which
>> is extremely useful when you're trying to check, e.g., that your flip
>> actually flops on the rising edge.
>
> Also, not available for Windows platform...

I'd be surprised if nobody has ported it yet... but yeah, that's the
least of the problems. A simulator that gives you THE WRONG ANSWER isn't
very useful.

>>> Falstad's circuit sim seems a bit easier to use at times, and it's
>>> interface isn't stellar.
>>
>> Which one?
>>
> http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

I didn't even know that thing had logic gates...

>> Join the club. ;-)
>
> Hehe ... I have a rather ambitious half-finished hex editor sitting on
> my hard drive. Dozens of other little things, as well.

Again... join the club.

> The hex editor when I get finished with it will be very nice, though.

No it won't. You'll never finish it. >:-)