POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research : Re: Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics research
From: Invisible
Date: 21 May 2010 06:25:56
Message: <4bf65fb4$1@news.povray.org>
>> The entire reason I find digital circuits interesting is that it
>> avoids the bewildering complexities of analogue design. ;-)
>
> Sure, but you should least have a basic understanding of the properties
> and characteristics of the transistors that you are using.  And
> especially if you are trying to wire up LEDs you should also get a basic
> understanding of simple LED circuits, ditto for switches and inputs.
> It's not that hard and will make your life much easier when you start
> wiring up actual logic chips to do useful things.

FWIW: I have owned a total of 3 different electronics kits as a kid. I
have no difficulty wiring together arrangements of switches, LEDs,
relays, and so forth. But all the manuals were a little vague on how
transistors actually work.

(I'm actually pretty damned certain I had some 7400s, and I made useful
circuits with them. But it was a long, long time ago now...)

Of course, when you buy a kit, somebody else has already figured out
what kind of LEDs to put in there, and what resister you need to connect
it to. I recall routinely using ICs to drive LEDs - but that was TTL,
and now I'm looking at CMOS, which has different characteristics.

Anyway, we'll see what happens I guess.