POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research : Re: Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics research
From: scott
Date: 19 May 2010 11:09:52
Message: <4bf3ff40$1@news.povray.org>
> Oh, and *don't* connect the LED to the 9V source at all. I did that once
> by mistake... that particular LED doesn't do anything now.
>
> Ah, life seemed so much simpler back then. :-(

Reminds me of an interesting story.  We got a complaint from a customer that
about 25% LCDs they have from us have a dark edge to the picture, either on
the left or the right side.  When we checked the faulty ones we found that
always the left or right LED was not working in the backlight (I think there
were 8 in total).  This puzzled us for a long time, why would it always be
the far left or far right LED that stopped working, and why were they
breaking in the first place?

In the end we figured out what happened.  Actually *every* LCD we shipped
had one broken LED, it's just they never noticed it when it was one of the
central LEDs.  And it turned out the equipment at our outgoing inspection
test was set to the wrong voltage, so the tester was just blowing one LED on
every backlight that went out :-)