POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Electronics research : Re: Electronics research Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Electronics research
From: Invisible
Date: 19 May 2010 10:56:08
Message: <4bf3fc08$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. And here I was thinking it's just a case of "if the voltage is
>> less than X, you don't need a resistor"...
>
> If you want to run the LED at 10 mA you look up on the V-I curve in the
> LED datasheet what forward voltage corresponds to 10 mA.  Say for
> example 2.8 V. If your logic output is 5 V (and the other side of the
> LED is connected to 0V), then you want 2.8 V across the LED and hence
> 2.2 V across the series resistor.  So your resistor needs to drop 2.2 V
> with a current of 10 mA, that makes it a 220 Ohm resistor.
>
> Connecting the LED directly with no series resistor to a voltage source
> is usually a bad idea (even if you think the voltage is correct),
> because even slight changes in the voltage cause large differences to
> the current the LED draws which might damage your circuit.

With my old electronics kit, if I'm remembering this rightly, you
connect through a resistor if you're using the 3V power source, and skip
the resistor if you're using the 1.5V source.

Oh, and *don't* connect the LED to the 9V source at all. I did that once
by mistake... that particular LED doesn't do anything now.

Ah, life seemed so much simpler back then. :-(