POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU : Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, here are my blog postings on building a CPU
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 19 May 2010 09:43:02
Message: <4bf3eae6$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/18/2010 8:52 AM, Invisible wrote:

>> Of course, the relay-based machine may be simplified to the point
>> where it can't do anything but play tic-tac-toe...
>
> No, you only need some marbles in matchboxes for that. ;-)

Haha. No. Only if you want to do something complicated like have a
genetic algorithm to solve the tic-tac-toe board ;)

> Hmm. Most of your current is going to come from the relays held open.
> The closed ones won't use any power. I have no idea how much power a
> relay uses, but I shouldn't have thought it's that much... Then again,
> just how many are you expecting to have? ;-)

Looking at the spec for a small 5v spdt relay (3A current rating) the
coil draws 40ma.

25 would draw 1 amp.

Using the 5v rail of a cheap PC power supply I could fit 50.

Using the 12v (16a @ 12 v) and using a regulator to obtain 5v, I can fit
quite a few more. But, then there is also money.
--
~Mike