POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 May 2010 18:34:10
Message: <4bf315e2@news.povray.org>

: 4bf2725b$1@news.povray.org...
> Does anybody know approximately when this time was?

I actually typed one single punch card in 1983 just before the machine was
sent to greener pastures. IIRC it was an Olivetti wih a red diode display
(no CRT) but I can't find the model right now.
In 1986 I worked in a lab where the punch card computer had just been
replaced by a mini-computer with CRTs (so there were stack of cards laying
around). The old tech guy who had been the punch card operator was being
retrained and had a hard time adapting to these new-fangled "monitors".
Before, when he was using the cards, launching a program consisted in
finding the right batch of cards, moving it *** very carefully *** to the
computer room (there were stories about him spilling programs on the floor)
keyboard just like a secretary and type lists of foreign-looking commands
that didn't make any sense. He hated that.

G.