POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Stephen
Date: 18 May 2010 16:51:09
Message: <4bf2fdbd$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/05/2010 9:11 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> I think that it was a bit earlier than that in the UK but we are much
>> more closely packed.
>
> I'm not sure of the history, but a lot of times, things will go a lot
> longer where they were invented.
>
> For example, in the USA, we had 96%+ landline penetration in residences
> in 1980 or so. South Korea had essentially none. Forward to 2005, and we
> have like 20% of the population having cell phones and 80%+ of south
> koreans having cell phones.

Crikey!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_mobile_phones_in_use

In the UK everyone has almost one and a quarter mobile phones each (2008).
South Korea - 97.24% 	2009
United States - 91.0% 	Dec. 2009

> I.e., I wouldn't be surprised that by the time the UK had widespread
> residential phone service, the technology was cheap enough that party
> lines didn't really make sense.

You are probably right, I missed the transition tho’.
Although I tend to think that it was not cost but capacity in GB (as it
was known then). Remember* there was no profit requirement with the GPO
but a mater of “national pride”.

* You won’t remember of course as there was no reason for you to take
notice. :-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen