POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Darren New
Date: 18 May 2010 16:21:08
Message: <4bf2f6b4$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You don't use ISDN to network all the computers in the building
> together.

You don't use IP to network all the computers in your building together
either. You have one wire from your computer to the switch. You then run
wires between switches.

> You use ISDN to connect one computer in your building to one
> computer in some other building.

You're being kind of silly here, you know that?

I guess you can only connect a modem to one other computer, too, right?

When the other computer in some other building is connected to a worldwide
network of switching fabric, what do you think happens?

> If it weren't for higher-level
> protocols, you wouldn't be able to use this for anything other than
> letting those two solitary nodes converse.

Higher-level protocols like dialing the phone?  You know, you can't even
connect two ISDN machines together. You *need* a switch in between, even if
the two machines are sitting in the same room.

>>> My point, which you seem determined to ignore, is that everybody who
>>> designed a way to connect computers together designed it to only
>>> handle a small handful of computers.
>>
>> Uh, no.  How many computers do you think ISDN can connect together?
>
> 2, AFAIK.

So that explains, for example, BRI having two high-speed channels and 8
source addresses on the D channel, right?

Tell me, how many people can you talk to on your phone?

>>> It seems to me that it wasn't until IP
>>> came along that you could connect very large collections of computers
>>> together.
>>
>> You are mistaken.
>
> Oh well. I guess that's the problem with being *alive*. :-(

It is, in part, part of the problem of people showing you where to read up
on the subject and you saying "that would take too long."

>> People were connecting together large numbers of computers long before
>> IP was around.
>
> Interesting. As I say, all the technologies I've seen support only small
> numbers of nodes.

TELEPHONES!  Jeez, dude. How many nodes do you think is typical for one
switch in, say, downtown London?  Hint: I'd guess somewhere between 500,000
and 1,000,000 subscribers per switch.

Interesting, perhaps, because you're not really thinking things through.

Given that IP isn't a physical networking technology, how do you think IP
gets all over the world if there isn't any network technology capable of
connecting to things all over the world?

>>> I'm fairly sure the telephone network connects vastly fewer nodes.
>>
>> You are incorrect. Indeed, in 1999, there was more *fax* traffic than
>> internet traffic, let alone voice and data. Ten years later, probably
>> less so. But you're talking about "earlier" networks.
>
> That makes no sense at all. There are people who don't even own a
> telephone, but have multiple computers connected to the Internet. And
> nobody uses fax anymore. What the hell...?

Clearly nobody uses fax any more.

> Now do you mean they didn't design IPv4 to be easily extensible, or they
> didn't design IPv6 to be backwards-compatible?

The latter.

> And WTF happened to IPv5 anyway?

It was allocated to an experimental realtime protocol that didn't get deployed.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid