POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laid Off After 21 Years! : Re: Laid Off After 21 Years! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laid Off After 21 Years!
From: Jim Charter
Date: 18 May 2010 12:56:46
Message: <4bf2c6ce$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On 16/05/2010 7:30 AM, Jim Charter wrote:
>
>> As it happens, here I am at 2am Sunday morning working on PowerPoint
>> presentations for the class I teach on Monday. I get paid by the hour
>> for time in the classroom. This time I spend now would be tolerably
>> classified as 'time given' to the job. A job that has zero security.
>> But...this time spent: makes the job in the classroom easier, elevates
>> the quality of my teaching, and elevates the reputation of the program.
>> Or so I hope.
>

> work outside working hours. Always improving and preparing.
>
>> Have I forgotten the bitter lesson learned when the
>> corporate world gave me the boot? Not sure. I believe I do this more for
>> myself now, not so to please others. But it is difficult to be sure.
>
> It is difficult, all those years of giving your all leaves ingrained
> habits.
>
>> As far as just taking the money? Yes, but the real value of this gig
>> is the
>> health care benefits. And for that I need to stay around.

Briefly, with me you're preaching to the choir. I'm now in NYC but grew
up in Canada.  The decision my wife and I made, to change from the plan
we had, quite expensive, but the only one we could qualify for, to the
current plan, completely free but married to a job I must be
'reinstated' to every six months, was an agonizing one.  And something
as simple as a change in TLC directors could easily result in no more
job for Jim, and no health care plan at all.