POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad : Re: iPad Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad
From: Warp
Date: 18 May 2010 12:46:37
Message: <4bf2c46d@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, great, until you want to print your document out. :-)
> >
> >   Actually since iPhone programs can make http requests, one could devise
> > a system where you send the document to your PC via http, and have the PC
> > print it out... Contrived, but entirely possible.

> Sure. Which, again, means you need a PC as an adjunct.

  But the point is that you could write your document during a 10-hour
flight and then print it out when you get home... (A laptop won't do,
unless the airplane offers a wall socket you can use to recharge the
battery.)

  No, it's not the best way of writing documents, but it's theoretically
possible.

> You could write a
> word processor. You can't print it out. You can only send it to someone else
> to print it.  You wouldn't need http - just email it to the mail account on
> your laptop.

  I was thinking about an automated system, where you install the word
processor on the iPad and a printing program on the PC, so you can print
by pressing a button on the iPad. Contrived, but possible. :)

> And it's certainly not the kind of thing that someone who doesn't even want
> a Mac is going to code, is my point.

  I didn't understand that.

> >   (Yes, it is entirely possible. Eg. games use this to send high scores
> > to online servers.)

> Yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing XNA disallows.  I don't think
> Microsoft wants an XBoxBotNet.

  Not supporting online highscores is a big minus for game developers.

--
                                                          - Warp